Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Space Horrors

As you all know I have two teenagers, arggggghhhhhhh 13yr old boy and 14 yr old girl. I honestly believe these children are trying to put me in a home. I have started packing because I think they are going to win. Please just make the room padded with an internet connection.

I am a PROUD Leo! I absolutely adore lions. I think they are so beautiful and strong. So I always joke around and say the kids are my lion cubs. My husband always says they are my ducklings because when they were little I trained them to stay right with me at all times. So anywhere I would go I always had them in tow. The funny thing is if we are in the mall or in a crowd they still follow me the same way but shhhhh do not tell them. Okay POPS a Ritalin....

Back on Subject!!!

I have been looking for my children's My Space for a couple weeks or so. Well I found it yesterday. Let me back a bit first. I am very concerned over the My Space with all these internet predators. Sooooooooooo I agreed to the my space with rules. No pictures, No names, No location, No team names, no nothing!!!! Everytime there is a show on about internet predators I sit with them so they can see it, understand it and ask questions about it. I know for a fact that I have been completely clear about this. As I am sure you can tell if you have been reading my blog for any amount of time; there is very little grey in my life, it is black or white, yes or no and very few maybes... So I know I have been completely clear, black and white no questions about this my space and online activities.

So now I am reading my daughter's my space. She has her picture, her full name, where she lives, her cheerleading team's names, her school, her grade, her class schedule for next year, YES you read that right her CLASS SCHEDULE so any maniac can locate her easily. At this point things go a bit blurry, but I flew into a blind rage. Instead of telling her I found her my space, I told her someone called me who had seen it and said she had too much information on her My Space. This is what happened next:










The End

Thank you ~takes a bow~Thank you

Please hold your applause; just throw money

This broadcast sponsored by Insomnia Theatre

12 Comments:

At 7/12/2006, Blogger Top cat said...

This is sooooooooooooooooooo funny what you've done with these pictures, the comments with the pictures are hilarious.
I love it, I can't stop laughing, honest.
You need to write for Leno or Letterman or even Bush/Cheney..LOL

I know this is a serious subject but you've been able to have some fun with it anyway.

tc

 
At 7/12/2006, Blogger StringMan said...

Phew! I'm just glad mySpace wasn't such an issue when my girls were her age. Nightmare, for sure. I'll bet you can really roar, too! :)

 
At 7/12/2006, Blogger Snowelf said...

Cherish: I sm s virgo but I have a Leo Ascendant and I know my inner leo would have roared my poor chili's ears numb too.

I'll probably have a lot of criticism for this, but I would have made a fake myspace posing as someone else and scaring the crap out of my child for pulling such a stunt after being explicity told NOT to reveal personal information. Not really all that ethical per se, but better me to scare them straight than a REAL predator.

Huge hugs and I hope you are feeling better soon sweetie!!! it's been a crummy week emotionally for you it seems! :(

 
At 7/13/2006, Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Damn, this was creative! My hat is off to you! I loved it!

More insomnia theater! :)

 
At 7/13/2006, Anonymous xmichra said...

hehehe... that was funny cherish! serious issue..but that whole montage thing was great..haha..

no advice here about the internet thing because i have no way to stand up on that one. I do practically the same thing (less the class schedule, insert the work day) andt so far the worst reprocussion is my mother in law finding my blog. GAH. But i am not a teenager, and i don't have someone makeing the rules for me either.

tough one. but you will most likely have to apologise for invading her privacy if you expect anything to sink in.

 
At 7/13/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

Ouch ! It is amazing that you find just the right pictures :).

When my son is on the internet, I know exactly where he goes and what he does. And it will be like that until he is 21. There are way too many predators out there or even just mixed up people. Whether she likes it or not, I would have your daughter take it completely down. My son doesnt have a chance with those things, because I know way more about computers than he does. Luckily he is more interested in playing comp games with me :)

Good luck!

 
At 7/13/2006, Blogger cherish said...

TC: I am so happy you liked it!!!
I have to either laugh about it, cry about it, or kill da gurl!

Stringman: You better believe it!! Grinz!! But I also purrrrrrrrrrr ~winks~

Snow: Okay next time I will have to consult you before I lost my mind and go nuts. I was so shocked and so angry that I could not think straight. I kind of shot myself in the foot because the little princess has now made her My Space private and I can not see it. GRRRRR! The fake id is brilliant!!!!!!!

Mr. Fabulous: No more insomnia it is making me crabby! Grinz!!! Okay not really crabby but a little punchy as you can tell.

XMichra: GASPS!!! Miss XMichra do I have to have a lecture with you about internet predators? ~winks!

LoB: I thought I would have them better controlled on the computer. But I think they are more computer savy than me.

 
At 7/13/2006, Blogger Still Searching... said...

Sometimes I regret teaching my daughter how to use the computer. She's only 9 and so far doesn't have much interest in things of that nature...yet. For now she's content to play her games and talk to her Nana online.

It's not the now, but what's to come that scares me.

 
At 7/13/2006, Blogger Gary said...

I think so many other kids are being open on myspace that your daughter probably feels peer pressure to do it. That's still not an excuse. I don't think it is the smartest thing to do.

 
At 7/13/2006, Blogger Fred said...

I'm throwing money! I have three teenage girls, and look at their MySpace pages every day.

From one Leo to another - go get 'em!

 
At 7/14/2006, Blogger littleone said...

ok.. really dumb question here..

when they first started with myspace.. obviously you discussed it with them...... why didn't you request/demand editor's rights.. the right to look at the site.. the right to check the site.. (i know nothing about myspace .. nothing at all i imagine it is much like a blog) ...

i am fully aware how difficult parenting is these days.... and please know i am not scolding.. just curious ....

kids change from one generation to another .. the one thing that doesn't change is the "give 'em an inch - they take a yard" philosophy..

as i have said to many parents.. it is your kid's job to keep you on your toes.. 24/7 ... and kids are VERY good at their job !!!

morningstar

 
At 7/14/2006, Blogger Chuck said...

first off - thanks for your words and comment on my site, much appreciated. second - i have a 15 year old daughter who wants a "my space" site also, i have agreed to this much in the same way you did, you can not be too careful and you are 100% correct about the predators (i'll have a talk with xmichra if i have to, ha ha) stick to your guns and don't take it lightly it only takes one time to be sorry, good luck and keep loving those kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home