Monday, May 08, 2006

Bay Bridge Walk

If you have been reading my blog for any amount of time you know I live on an island. I absolutely love it here because it is so beautiful although in the past 10 years it has grown to new heights, sadly to say.

There are four bridges to get on and off the Island. One bridge is a drawbridge that is right next to a larger bridge (drawbridge is on the left and the taller bridge is on the right, incase it is not clear)that they built to alleviate the traffic when the draw bridge was up. This is an aerial view of the two small bridges and marinas.Then there is the two Bay Bridges that run parallel each other. This is the two Bay Bridges, with a length of 4.3 miles, the bridges are among the world's longest and most-scenic over-water structures. The original span was built in 1952 and provides a two-lane roadway for eastbound traffic. This is a picture of the bridge when it stood alone:The parallel structure opened in 1973 and has three lanes for westbound travelers. Here are two pictures of the newer bridge:During the past year, nearly 25-million vehicles crossed the Bay Bridge. Trust me most of these people go across the East bound bridge on Fridays and the West bound bridge on Sundays. This is the only way to get to the ocean, need I say more? The traffic tie ups are beyond horrible. Not to mention these are suspension bridges so when you are stuck in traffic you can feel them sway, ugghhhh... eekks I really hate that. Sometimes it can take hours to get across the bridges. When the traffic West bound backs up the idiot tourists get off the main highway and try to use the service roads. This is a nightmare. It backs up traffic through the communities, the firehouse is not able to get their engines out and the school buses are not able to get the kids home from school. In today's meme society the tourists just think only of their travels and do not take into consideration the plight of our communities. I often wonder if someone dies because the ambulance can not reach them because people are looking for a short cut; how those people would feel knowing they caused someone else's death? Steps off my soap box, sorry!!! I am here to write about the bridge walk not the tourists who drive me nuts.

Well it is a spectacular view, in my humble opinion. So one day a year they close down the older bridge and allow people to walk over it. This year they had over 20,000 people walk over the bridge on Sunday. The walk is a little over 4.5 miles. It was such a beautiful day with a nice breeze and a warming sun. Well my husband, my daughter and my son decided they would walk the bridge this year. I declined because I still feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest and I am coughing nonstop. I was afraid after a mile or so everyone surrounding me may want to throw me off the bridge because I am annoying them with my coughing. So they enjoyed the two hour walk and I enjoyed the quiet! I was able to finish the last flower bed. All of my flowers are planted, every weed pulled, and all my mulch distributed and if I may be so bold it looks GOOD!!

I am very happy it is finished!!!

Side Note:
My daughter's team came in Fourth on Saturday. They performed flawlessly and really looked like they were having fun but they were beat by better teams. The competition was very long and we did not get home until late late on Saturday night. The teams competiting came from all over the United States and they were AMAZING!!! You had to qualify and be invited to compete at this competition. Two of our teams received the invitation and two of our teams were not invited. That was our last competition. I kind of wished we did not compete on Saturday then we would have finished our season with a First Place win at Six Flags. Oh well it was a good experience for the girls and I am sure they were just as amazed as we were with some of these teams.

I hope everyone had an absolutely extraordinary weekend with lots of friends, family, parties, rest, relaxation and sex!!!!!

Thank you very much for visiting my blog!!!

26 Comments:

At 5/08/2006, Anonymous xmichra said...

those bridges sound amazing... and scarry. I am not a fan of bridges at all.

I know i am probably going to get massive flamage for this next comment... but i seriously don't mean to offend.

Just thinking that If I were ever one of the tourists in your city.. i would most likely look for a short cut too, and it is because of my own time schedule... sorry to say. BUT, really, this is a bigger picture of poor city planning. You know that you are going to have heavy congestion on these bridges, and you know that these side streets were intended for residential traffic... but you also have to know that others will use it if it is indeed shorter. that is the rush of man, and why enginiers (sp?) have jobs.

Trust me, you want to see poor city planning? I look no further than the city I live in. Four sets of railroad tracks that are constantly busy because it is a switching yard.. and it is right on the divider between residential and business areas. SO to go to work you have to cross these, to shop, to do anything... and it will take you forever if you go the main routes (usually a half an hour to an hour). But, if you know the short cuts that the city enginiered to go a little faster fo rthe residents.. well it is much shorter. same thing though... you get tourists who want to shave 20 min off their time to make their tee time on the golf course. or what have you.

I'm just saying, I think there is a bigger problem then just tourists.

 
At 5/08/2006, Blogger StringMan said...

Well, you nailed MY weekend in your sign off (hehehe).

The bridges must be so nice to walk over on a sunny day. I've seen you mentioning "driving off island" in previous posts -- I can now understand that there are times that locals like you will avoid the bridges at all costs, unless desperation and last resort are the only options.

Bet your flower beds are looking good!

 
At 5/08/2006, Blogger Top cat said...

Fascinating description of the bridges and the Island, they look like works of wonder.
Kudos for finishing your garden, I bet it looks great.
Thanks for sharing this part of your life with us.
tc

 
At 5/08/2006, Blogger cherish said...

XMichra: You are absolutely right! It is the highway administration's fault. But aside from that the problem still exists. They are looking into building another bridge to access the island at lower point but of course that will costs millions of dollars.

Stringman: I knew you had a wild and crazy weekend!!! My husband works an extra hour a day so he only has to work half a day on Friday so he can get across the bridge as early as possible. My flowers do look very pretty, thank you very much, hehe.

TC: I am happy you liked the post! The bridge is truly amazing. I think my flower beds look great, hehe... When I pulled up today I looked at all the different beds and the beautiful colors and I was happy!!! VERY Happy it was DONE, hehehe!!!! THank you smiles!

 
At 5/08/2006, Blogger Big Ben said...

Bridges are cool, just no where to turn around. I will try to have some sex this weekend.

 
At 5/08/2006, Blogger Still Searching... said...

Those are some beautiful pictures Cherish!

I hope you're feeling better soon hon. Until then, keep smiling!

:-)

 
At 5/08/2006, Blogger Dear AL said...

The thing I hate about tourists in my town is when your walking down the street and a group of tourists stop in front of you blocking the way to debate what they're gona do next, instead of moving off to the side. The last time this happened I said "Morons, mind moving off to the side?", and they did. Don't think this will help your situation, but wouldn't it be fun watching them plunge to the waters below?

Congratulations to your daughter and her team!

 
At 5/08/2006, Blogger boo said...

u had me at relaxation & sex. oh ya, the pics were nice too :p

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger Hale McKay said...

Wow! Those are some great pics of the Bay Bridges. Congrats on the team doing so well.
...Great Blog!

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

That is too bad that you could not have done the Bay Bridge walk :(. At your kids were able to do that. Its funny how that whole description about the bridges ... then three words on sex and relaxation how that zeroes into every ones mind ;) heehee. I hear that when there is an accident on the bridges in the keys - it causes the same thing - back up from hell. I hope that you are feeling better!

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

Love the bridge view!

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger Sonya said...

Congrats to your daughters team. The bridges are lovely. Can I come visit? LOL!

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger Puffin said...

I am inclined to ask the purpose of walking the bridge...Is it a fundraiser? Some sort of charity event? What's the purpose?

BTW, I've teravelled the bridge many, many times Both on the way to the beach or on the way to the races in Dover.

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger The Michael said...

What a wonderful collection of bridges! I have a mild phobia driving over really tall ones, but I still like them.

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger gunngirl said...

LOVE the pictures. Very cool place to live, though I guess you'd have to live there to get used to the bridges. Whenever I occasionally come across train tracks and a loooooong train I don't wanna wait. I don't wanna get used to that.

Oh, and your daughters team--well, the other teams will make them better. Nothing like competing with the best to make you better! ;)

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger Lisa said...

I know all about living near the Bay Bridge (I live in AA County) and traveling it! I also have done the "walk" b4. LLLLOOONNNGGGG walk!!!!!!! LOL

Enjoy the break from cheering. Will your daughter be cheering next year?

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Big Ben: Most definitely no turning around on these bad boys! How was the sex?

Still Searching: Thank you so much I am feeling a bit better everyday! The cough is just hanging on like a wet shirt ~winks~

Dear Al: Thank you my daughter appreciates your congrats! I would like them to just stay on the highway!

Boo: Wooo hoooo!!! hehe I hope it was great!

Hale McKay: Thank you so much for visiting my blog and your kind words.

LoB: Thank you smiles! I am feeling better!!!

RHSP: I am happy you liked the pics!

Sonya: HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Anytime!!!! Makes up the guess room and waits!

Puffin: Thanks for signing my blog!! There is no reason to walk the bridge. I guess it is just to enjoy the view. They collect one dollar to go towards the shuttles but that is just a donation and not required. Oh boy the roads are packed on race days.

Michael: HELLOOOO!!!!! I do not mind the bridges if I can keep moving even if it is just creeping and crawling but I hate to be at a dead stop because sometimes you can feel the bridge sway, ughhh I REALLY REALLY hate that!!

Gunn: I remember visiting my grandmother in Il and the long trains were like nothing I have ever seen before. I would sit on her front porch and count them. But now if I had to sit and wait for the trains to pass I think I would GOOO NUTTSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
I definitely agree with you competition wow those girls were WONDERFUL!!!!!

 
At 5/09/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Lisa: I had no idea you lived in Maryland! VERY COOL!!!! I am not sure what she is going to do next year she is thinking about cheering for only the highschool or cheering for a different team. How is K making out?

 
At 5/10/2006, Blogger alan said...

Not sure I'd walk them with that swing and sway thing going on!

Glad the team had fun, and they had a heckuva season!

Hope you shake the rest of that bug; it's time for summer fun, not winter colds!

alan

 
At 5/10/2006, Blogger Sonya said...

Happy Hump Day!

 
At 5/10/2006, Blogger Gary said...

That was a wonderful post. Thanks for the tour. I hope now that summer is here you get to spend lots of time in your garden. It sounds like you did a great job.

 
At 5/10/2006, Blogger Lisa said...

K absolutely LOVES her All Star Team. She has been there twice this year and then tomorrow for gymnastics (I have her in private classes also). I am so glad she is enjoying it. I am too =)

 
At 5/10/2006, Blogger darlingina said...

Gorgeous area you live in cherish. The photos were wonderful. I love bridges but also get a lil freaked out when i have to drive over one. And.. many words of Congrats to the cheerleading team!
Hugs,
~gina~

 
At 5/10/2006, Blogger Jim C said...

Sorry you've been under the weather. Hope that cough goes away.

Having been stuck at your drawbridge - because I was being a cool tourist and taking the back roads - I can understand the frustration. However, watching the boats is just as much fun!!!!

 
At 5/11/2006, Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Maybe I will try to have sex ON a bridge...

Never did that before.

 
At 5/11/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Alan: Thank you for stopping by and commenting! Honestly you rarely feel the sway, the conditions have to be perfect and you need to be completely stopped in your car to feel it. My daughter thanks you for the congrats!!!
I hope I can shake it too! I woke up this morning feeling like I did when I first got sick. GRRRRRRRRRR I had on my schedule for Wednesday feel completely better so what happened? hehe

Sonya: Happy Hump Day!!

Gary: Thank you!! I am hoping it will rain so I do not have to water everything tonight!! It has been fun being back outdoors.

Lisa: Good To Hear!! I hope it is a great season for your team!

Gina: Thank you so much! I really like it here a lot. It has built up so much since we first moved her but the area is still pretty, just much more congested. My daughter thanks you for the congrats!!
HUGGGSSS

JimC: Thank you so much!! Oh thats right you have experienced our traffic tieups!

Mr. Fabulous: How wil get Mrs Fab to participate?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home