Wednesday, April 05, 2006

LIFE - This Is A Long One, My Apologies!

I am very sorry this post is so long. But, I just received a wonderful email from my friend Debbie that took my breath away. This email could not have reached me at a better time or day, I really needed something this wonderful today. My friend Debbie is a few years older than me and almost crippled. She always has this beautiful smile on her face with sparkling green eyes. But I can see the pain when I look deep into her eyes. She lives in pain 24/7 and I admire her so very much. I think I would have thrown in the towel by now. I am going to share the email with you but first I wanted to share a few rules that I try to live by. I do say try because I am not always successful but I will always continue to try to accomplish my rules. As you can see her email really has me thinking.

Some of my rules of life:
I always stop to feel the sun shine on my face. I always look up at the stars at night and in the early morning. I ALWAYS admire nature's beauty.

I try to always say thank you because I am so grateful for the littlest things but sometimes we forget to say thank you.

I try to let my friends know that I appreciate them. I love my friends for how they make me feel not for what they do for me. I have a friend who sends me an email every single morning and every single night to say good morning and good night, just a few sentences but it makes my day and night. I could never keep up with that, I always want him to know how much I appreciate it, even if I do not email him as much as he emails me. I have another friend who moved away about 5 years ago (I miss her, pouts), she emails me long letters, sends me cards, sends me pictures of her kids and I never can find the words to reply to her in such a vast form. I always thank her for the email and I answer all her questions but that is about it for me. But... I do call her a lot and we talk on my phone bill or my cell phone minutes, but she never calls me. One time I was apologizing to her for not being able to match the length of her email, She said "it all balances out I am better at writing and you are better at spending money; email is free and phone calls cost money." LAUGHING She is such a trip and I have missed her so much since she moved. She is Hawaiian and she calls me Mikala, and I love it!! I think if you send someone an email or a card because you are expecting to get one in return then that is just silly I would rather not receive at all. I like knowing my friends are calling me or emailing me or sending me cards because they love me and want me to have them not because they are expecting something in return.

I do not judge people because I do not wish to be judged.

I try to always forgive someone who has hurt my family, my friends or me. I have a much easier time forgiving than forgetting. I can forgive the person for causing me pain but I find it hard to forget the pain. I am hoping to grow into being able to forgive and forget. Once I have lost faith or trust in a person, I can not seem to get it back. I just try to remember the good times with them but move forward in the situation.

I try very hard to step out of a painful situation to see the other person's point of view. I always believe there is a reason behind the pain someone is inflicting upon me. I never want to be blind to the reason, sometimes I allow my emotions to get in the way and I can not see the reason. But, I know I have to see the reason, because the reason gives me peace.

I try to understand instead of hating.

Patience, hmmmm well I try to have patience but that is definitely not one of my better characteristics!!! hehehe


I try to find the good in someone even when there seems to be none. I have a great belief that we all start out to be good people, something along the road of life has changed who we are and most definitely who we were suppose to be.

I try to take my family, loved ones and friends with me into the future. This is not always possible, I try to understand why and then I bring those who are lost to me into the future by remembering all the good things we shared. I try to keep memories of passed loved ones alive and bring them into the future with me in my heart.

I think the hardest thing for me when something bad happens is to leave the what ifs behind. I always want to know why? what if I did something differently? how could this have been avoided? But with age I am realizing sometimes there are no answers it just happened. Everything happens for a reason. When God closes a door he always opens a window.

Okay I will stop now because I could just go on and on.

Here is the email:

GEORGE CARLIN (His wife recently died...)

Isn't it amazing that George Carlin - gross and mouthy comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent...and so very appropriate.

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time.

We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years.

We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space.

We've done larger things, but not better things.We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait.

We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships.

These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.

It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete...

Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.AND ALWAYS

REMEMBER:Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

THE END!

No pictures I wanted the words to stand on their own today!

As you can see this email has affected me in a deep way. It made me sit down, take a deep breath and think (I mean really think)

Wishing Everyone a Peaceful Wednesday! Feel the sun, smell the flowers and most definitely look up at the stars!!

18 Comments:

At 4/05/2006, Blogger Top cat said...

Wow! I get to go first.

I'm happy I packed a lunch on this sunny afternoon because as you warned it is a bit lengthy.lol
I think it's great this email has affected you so.
We often need little whispers to remind us of the good things in our lives, life rolls along and if all is going well the good things become ordinary.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for including the George Carlin piece.

Great post and food for thought!:)

 
At 4/05/2006, Anonymous xmichra said...

This one made me cry.

My friend Ken, he was killed in a truck accedent at work... and he used to recite George Carlin on a daily basis. Most of the time it was the snarky comments like "why do we put labels on drugs? We should just leave the labels alone and call it survival of the fittest".

But often it was the truely insiteful... and one of the last things he ever said was: say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

This was in refrence to Kira.. who was as mmuch his little girl as she was mine and Marks.

You just never know when you are going to win, lose or fold... but you had better stay in the game. That's my philosophy.

 
At 4/05/2006, Blogger Still Searching... said...

Thanks for sharing Cherish, lovely post.
:-)

 
At 4/05/2006, Blogger Gary said...

I haven't been coming to your blog for long, but I knew I liked it. I almost feel like apologising, though, for not realizing what a tremendously deep person you are. Your philosophy of life is truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing it.

 
At 4/06/2006, Blogger cherish said...

TC: Thank you very much! It was a great email. I swear it came at the perfect time. I hope you enjoyed your lunch!

XMichra: Awww I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose someone so close and dear to you. We had a friend Mark who my daughter just loved to death. He was suffering from MS and getting worse. He found out his wife was cheating on him. He took his own life. I was almost happy that she was so young she does not remember him very well. But she was quite smitten with him. Everytime he visited our home, she would toddle back to her room and bring all her stuffed animals out and place them strategically around him on the couch and floor. It was so cute!!

You are so very right because we never know when we will be called home again.

Still Searching: You are most welcome thank you for stopping by.

Gary: I am very humbled by your words. Thank you so much for the kind words!!!

 
At 4/06/2006, Blogger boo said...

wow, just wow {{hug attack}}

 
At 4/06/2006, Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Lovely sentiments from you, Debbie, and Mr. Carlin.

I am going to bookmark this entry. Something tells me I will want to come back to it again and again.

 
At 4/06/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

Wow very powerful! I won't comment on anything, because the words DO speak for themselves. Thank you for sharing. I think that I will go read it again :).

 
At 4/06/2006, Blogger Sonya said...

The rules of life are beautiful.

You made me tear up.

Thank you for sharing this.
It is a good reminder.

 
At 4/06/2006, Blogger cherish said...

BOO: Huggsssssssssss......
Thank you so much!!!! I just adore your hugggss!

Mr. Fabulous: Thank you that means the world to me!

LoB: Smiles and I am happy you enjoyed it! Thank you!!

Sonya: Thank you very much for your kind words. You are very sweet!

 
At 4/06/2006, Blogger Underachiever said...

Another great one Cherisini!

Undr

 
At 4/06/2006, Blogger darlingina said...

No appologies needed on this one cherish. It poured from your heart and i thought it was very special. I'm honored to call you my friend. You're a wonderful woman.
Hugs,
~gina~

 
At 4/06/2006, Blogger gunngirl said...

Oh, I loved that! Great post. I like your rules. I'd like to be a better friend, I regret not being a better friend to an old high school friend, and we still, talk which is the problem.

Oh, and just want to say that I don't think we should forgive and forget. No such thing.

 
At 4/07/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Undr: Thank you so much!! hehe You are so cute!!

Gina: Huggss thank you so much, you are too kind. I am honored to call you my friend as well. Although I am still angry with you!!! you know why!!! ~winks~

Gunngirl: Thank you very much for such warm thoughts. Well you most definitely have time to treat her better! Lost friends are the worst, I just remember the good times when it is over to help with the loss.

 
At 4/07/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

Have a wonderful trip! =)

 
At 4/07/2006, Blogger Leesa said...

I was working on a post that this fits nicely in. Thanks for the words - wonderful to read this morning.

 
At 4/07/2006, Blogger Sonya said...

Just came by to say have a happy weekend and I hope the cheerleading competition goes well.

 
At 4/11/2006, Blogger cherish said...

LoB: Thank you!! We had a great time!

Leesa: Fantastic! Happy I could help!

Sonya: HUGS Thank you so much!! It was great... Exciting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home