Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The Hunt For A Good Night's Sleep

I have always had a hard time sleeping. Which is very strange because I do not drink anything with caffeine. When I was younger it did not affect me at all. I could go days without sleep. But as I am getting ~cough~ older ~cough~ it has begun to affect me. I am always yawning and tired in the evenings. But by the time everyone is in bed and settled down, guess who is wide awake? Yuppers... Me!!! I have never taken a sleep aid because I am afraid I would be hooked in a minute.
When I lay down it is like my brain clicks on over drive. I think about everything and anything! GRRRRR it irritates the hell out of me. I would do just about anything to quiet my brain. My friend told me to try and figure out complex math problems. Well heck I was up all night trying to figure out the answers. Ummm if you have an obsessive personality do not do complex math problems in your head!!! I think the worse night sleep is when I get the clock watching syndrome!! Waking up in a panic every 30 minutes checking the clock because you feel like you have overslept. UGHHHH thats the worse ever!!!
But my main problem with sleep is just the stuff in my head that is left over from the day and stuff I have to do tomorrow. I started with a mini tape recorder so I could remember my thoughts. I thought that would quiet my brain. Nope... the mini tape recorder drove me nuts it was hard to work. So I tried paper and pen but once I started listing the stuff that was floating around in my head, I could not stop. So I just lay there thinking, okay okay sometimes I write stuff down if it is very important. Geeesshh you all know me too well! hehe...

While we were in Florida I slept like a rock!! I mean I was asleep between 10 and 11pm and I woke up at 5:30am. I could not believe it!!!! I have not slept through the entire night since forever. I slept on the couch right near the sliding glass door. I kept it open listening to the waves and ZZzzZZzzZZzz out like a light.

As much running as we did while in Florida, I have never felt so rested in all my life. This was a great discovery for me. The first night home I was up all night long. ~growls~ So I bought this Tranquil MomentsĀ® Sound Therapy System and I have been listening to the ocean every night. Well for the first week it did not work but I liked listening to it. I was still waking up several times during the night. Last night I went to bed at 11pm, fell right asleep, woke up at 3am looked at the clock, turned over went back to sleep until the alarm went off at 4am!! WOOO HOOOOO I felt GREAT this morning!!!!!!! It was awesome!! I think the White Noise Machine is working!!! Wishing everyone a wonderful night's sleep with dreams filled with all the things that bring you pleasure!!!

18 Comments:

At 4/19/2006, Blogger StringMan said...

Glad that the new sound therapy thing seems to be working, Cherish. I am no stranger to "short nights", where you just can't drift off. Fortunately it's not chronic with me.

I'll bet your husband amazes you with how he can sleep (because you get to watch him so much)! My wife is a sleep natural: head hits the pillow, she's gone, no matter what. Meanwhile, I count sheep.

May you be sleepy and rested tonight!

 
At 4/19/2006, Blogger boo said...

poor baby, hope u get some quality sleep soon. i love drugs but i know my own weakness so i stay away from them :p

 
At 4/19/2006, Blogger Tim ID said...

Sweet dreams!

 
At 4/19/2006, Blogger Big Ben said...

I'm so glad I don't have that problem it is so frustrating. I try to think about nothing, it is pretty hard, just let your mind go blank.

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger alan said...

I spent years lying awake rehashing the day, then worrying about "the morrow". Finally in my 40's I realized today is done, I can't change it; there is nothing about tomorrow I can change by worrying, but if I get a good night's sleep it will be easier to deal with, come what may!

Sometimes I have to remind myself, but for the last 4 or 5 years I've done pretty well!

Hope you find some peace to sleep in!

alan

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

Thats one problem I have ever had - I sleep like a rock lol. Sex before sleeping helps too ;)

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Stringman: Thank you so much!! Well you are definitely right about my husband he can sleep through anything. He actually slept through Hurricane Isabel. I would love to be like him. He always says he can not help that I can hear a fly shit on the wall when I am asleep. chuckles it is so true though I hear everything.

Boo: Thank you boo ((Hugs)) you are very sweet!!!

Tim: Thanks!!

Big Ben: I am happy you do not have that problem either! I would be murder on Patty if you were tossing and turning ~winks~... I have tried so many times to make my mind go blank it just never works.

Alan: That is exactly how I am... I lay in bed and go through the entire day in my mind. Hoping I made good decisions, that I did not hurt anyone's feelings, that everything I needed to accomplish in the day was properly tended to and then I start on the next day, ughhh its a vicious circle. I am 38 and the 40s are just GULPS around the corner... Maybe I will have better luck sleeping in my 40s, smiles! Thank you very much!

LoB: Hmmm.... sex before bed only gets my blood flowing then I am up all night long. But it does work for my husband, he zonks right out. It must be a man thing!!

 
At 4/20/2006, Anonymous xmichra said...

I had problems similar to yours.. My mind would race for hours before I could get a few hours of rest.. not sleep, rest.

You have the first part down, the easy listening sounds. I was an idiot and the first cd i bought was a brook.. i had to pee all the time!! But I found one that worked and it was great to sleep for real.

But it started to lose it's effect. So I had heard that because I slept so well by the ocean, it was due to the ions in the air. There were just more of them because it was so wet there.

I went and bought an ionizer and that worked so well.. i cannot even tell you. I thouhgt it was a load of crap, but it really works.

I know you have most likely tried to do this too.. but I find that it works for me when I have bad thoughts cirling my brain:
Make sure you have just had a shower or bath. tie your hair up, or pull it back so that it is off your face. Use some nature of lotion that is cool (like cuccumber or watermellon) on your face and lie down. Close your eyes and imagine white light. I mean really white, like you are closing your eyes in the sun... that kind of light. Just focus on the light and keeping it there. Block out all noise and all thoughts.

I know it seems strange to do, but it works very well. And it won't keep you up all night working out quantum physics :)

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Gary said...

One thing I never have troublr doing is sleeping. But I did have some bouts with insomnia years ago. It really sucks. Here's wishing you more sleep.

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Still Searching... said...

It is a most frustrating thing!

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Sonya said...

Maybe you need to wear yourself out during the day, but slow down in the afternoon. If your metabolism is still pumping to much when you lie down you can't sleep. So get up early and wear yourself out so you can pass out like in Florida. LOL!

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Top cat said...

I've had similar sleep problems cherish so I sympathize with you completely.
I fall asleep quickly enough but wake up at 1 or 2am like you, one thing I've learned to do is turn the clock on an angle so if I roll over to look I can't directly see it but enough if I try hard enough it's readable.
That way you don't know what time it is and it tricks my brain into falling back asleep.

I'm with you, sex before sleep gets my blood flowing and I'm going to be up for hours(err I mean awake for hours):).

I love the white noise stuff, great for drowning outdoors noises..have fun and sleep well.:)
tc

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Maybe if you would move to Florida you would sleep good all the time. There is a house for sale in our cul-de-sac...

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger gunngirl said...

I feel for you. I hate when I have trouble sleeping, but for me it's the typical times like before an important day, job interview, big test, etc. Or I'm worrying about something I have no control over.

I think you should invest in a good book and ONLY read it right before bed and read it until you just can't keep your eyes open. But you have to pick something you reeeeally want to read.

I used to watch TV and set the sleep timer on the TV. I love the sleep timer. If I don't think about my day or the next I settle into a recurring dream and it helps to lull me.

 
At 4/20/2006, Blogger Jim C said...

I've got a couple hours worth of ambient sounds, including an hours worth of ocean, I load on my ipod shuffle and go to sleep with that every night. I relate to the sleeplessness...for me it's all stress....

 
At 4/21/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

Yea maybe ;) HAHA

 
At 4/21/2006, Blogger Sonya said...

Did you sleep any better last night?

 
At 4/21/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Xmichra: Thank you so much! This routine sounds so relaxing! I am definitely going to give it a try. The rain option made me have to pee. But the ocean is working wonderful!!

Gary: Thank you so much!! I am happy you do not have this problem. You need your rest to work on that beautiful garden of yours!

Still Searching: Agrees!!!

Sonya: I wake up at 4am, I am not sure I can start my day any earlier, winks!!! Thank you for the suggestions.

TC: Thank you very much smiles! I will definitely give the clock thing a chance. I hope you are able to sleep peaceful!

Mr. Fabulous: I am on my way to check out the house! Wooo hooo neighbors with Mr. FabUlous!! Very exciting!

Gunngirl: Thanks for the suggestions! I have to sleep in a completely dark room and quiet. If the television is on I will stay up and watch it all night long.

JimC: That sounds wonderful! My son just bought an IPod Nano he is loving it. The ocean sounds on the white noise machine is giving me what I need at night so far.

LoB: WINKS

Sonya: The night I wrote the post I was up all night long. I could not go to sleep until 2:30 and then had to wake up at 4am, UGHHH!!! I thought oh no I have jinxed myself. But last night SMILES I fell asleep around 11 and woke up with the alarm at 4am, YEAHHAWWWW, which I can not even remember the last time the alarm woke me up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home