Friday, March 31, 2006

Attention Hog


Have you ever met someone who loves attention? They will go to any lengths to get attention. I have a friend who is a hypochondriac. She is always ill or something is hurting her. I feel sorry for her because I would hate to feel as if I had to be sick to get attention. She has a beautiful home, great kids and a fantastic husband. They all wait on her hand and foot because she is sick. Sometimes I want to tell her to count her blessings before they disappear in front of her. But it is not my place and there is something not right inside her that she feels this deep desire for attention.

Then there are people who love to create havoc or dismay in their life for attention and pity. Most people will fall into the trap and give them support. I must admit I love to stand on the sidelines and watch this happen. It is so obvious to me when it is just a cry for attention. Please give me sympathy... Please tell me how great I am... Please give me pity... Please beg me to stay... I often wonder what happened in their life that they have this need for such attention. I had two friends growing up who were like this, man did they grate on my nerves. They were sisters and the biggest, I do mean BIGGEST attention hogs I have ever met. We were separated by one year. H was a year older than me and C was a year younger than me. H was always sick and things in her life were always up in the air. This eventually turned her into a pathological liar. It was such a shame, C and I would try to talk to her about her lying but it never helped. C was always looking for attention but did not do the hypochondriac thing. It was so funny because we had a great time playing with each other but it always ended up with one of them having a meltdown. They grew up in the nuclear family, their dad did not drink, their mom was a stay at home mom; their lives always seemed so charmed to me. Their mom was an attention hog too, something was always going on in her life. She had the poor pitiful me syndrome too. She would also flirt with every man in the world for attention. But looking back as an adult, I know they did not have it easy because their parents did not want anything to do with them. Well as we got older they got worse. For example we would be out bowling, one would get their nose out of joint and say they were leaving. They just wanted to be begged to stay. Everyone would start begging them to stay. It will be no fun without you please stay, we love you, don't leave us.... YUCK!!!! I never begged them to stay or even ask them. The first year was rough because H was the driver. So if someone did not soothe her and make her feel better we would all have to leave. But when I got my driver's license, I always offered to drive. They would start their routine about leaving; I would say start walking and we will pick you up on our way home. H would never leave she would just pout and ruin everyone's time. But C was much more fiesty and she would pretend to walk home. She would hide somewhere outside and wait for us to come look for her. Hell I just kept on bowling (or whatever we were doing) because I knew her act. Then H would do this entire dramatic thing, crying she can not find her sister and she was so worried. HEHE I loved this because she was stealing the attention from her sister. Well the group of people we hung around would pity, soothe, calm, and give them sympathy. But... it did not take long for everyone to get really sick of their song and dance. We grew apart as time passed. I never speak to or see H, but I will get Christmas cards from C. We will get together every couple years to catch up but that's about it. When I sent out my wedding invitations H went nuts and did everything in her power to get her wedding scheduled before mine. LAUGHING... The best thing about being friend's with sisters is they tell each other's secrets. C told me what H was doing to get her wedding before mine. Well she ended up getting married one month after me. I was excited to be announced as the bridesmaid to hear my new name outloud in public. Honestly, I thought how cool it would be. Well she had them use my maiden name. hehe... she had the last laugh!! It was such a GREAT lesson growing up with them because it taught me about people. I can spot an attention hog a mile away.

I often wonder what people like this would do if they were truly sick or if something really awful happened in their life. Please do not get me wrong I love attention as much as the next person. But when you go about getting your attention fix at the expense of others is when it is totally out of control. Remember to count your blessings you never know when they will disappear!

10 Comments:

At 3/31/2006, Blogger Gary said...

It's sad that when some people grow up to be adults they don't lose their immature, childish habits. It sounds like that is what happened to your sisters. Maybe some day they will wake up and see themselves as they really are.

 
At 3/31/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

I have seen people like that in my life and always wondered too. I could never understand it. I am more the type to lurk around on the sidelines and still be socialable with everyone. But I do not like to be the center of attention. I like to listen more than talk - my ex-wife always thought I was a "bear" because I would never talk in social situations, but she never understood, that I would say something IF I had something to say. I would never do things or say things to get attention. My ex-wife's mother was exactly like you described could not stand it. We would always end up leaving parties early because she was "sick." Geez go fug yourself.

 
At 3/31/2006, Blogger Sonya said...

Is the surprise party this weekend?

When I was single and would go out to bars I use to annoy my friends cuz I wanted attention or move on to the next place. Is that bad? I have grown up and don't do that anymore.

 
At 3/31/2006, Anonymous xmichra said...

I am horrible too, I did that. Right down to the walking away. But I would actually walk home, or call a cab, or whatever. If something was seriously not going the way I liked it, I would bail.

I know, It's childish.. but when you look at the people who would stand around and make your time just awful... well walking away doesn't sound so bad.

I do like attention, and I do things to make sure I get it... but normally it is making jokes or talking to everyone about everything. I like to be in the center... just not the actual center.

Okay... now i am babbling..

 
At 3/31/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Gary: I do not think H will ever change but knows C changed immensely when she had a child!

LoB: I am like you I prefer to be quiet and on the sidelines. I hate being the center attention it makes me nervous.

Sonya; YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTOMORROW!!!!!! Thank you so much for asking. I can not wait!!!! My mom and I went to the hall this morning before my son woke up and discussed how it will be set up. That really got my EXCITED juices flowing!!!

No that is not bad at all you just wanted to have a good time. These girls would do it so we would not have fun!!

XMichra: I agree with you if you are upset or angry and want to leave then leave. But they wanted to be begged to stay. They never left or walked home one time. It was all for attention. Well heck I love a person who is the center attention who is fun. You are never babbling.

Wishes everyone a Great Weekend!

 
At 3/31/2006, Blogger Leesa said...

I love attention - just hope I don't cause havac because of it.

 
At 3/31/2006, Blogger Tim ID said...

Interesting observation. You just described my aerobics instructor. Everyday she would be late to class and walk in either having been in an accident, receiving a speeding ticket or sick. She always had a bad knee, twisted ankle or torn ligaments. She was the most unhealthy fitness instructor I've ever known. She finally lost her job after one cry for attention too many.

 
At 3/31/2006, Blogger Dear AL said...

So what are you trying to say? Huh!

That's it! I'm leaving!

***Hiding behind a garbage can***

 
At 3/31/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Leesa: Thank you so much for stopping by!!!

King Tim: It sounds like she needed to be fired. Well I do think everyone gets to a certain point when the cry for attention is one time too many. Everyone has a breaking point!

Dear Al: Are you an attention hog? hehe I do not believe it!

 
At 4/01/2006, Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

I have a sister in law just like that.

Oh, the drama!

Have a fabulous weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home