Friday, February 03, 2006

Geek Squad

My children's computer had slowed down immensely so I spoke to someone at the Geek Squad that is located in Best Buy. The gentleman told me no problem bring the computer in and for 167.00 they will clean it up and make all the upgrades. I was thrilled with this because I have never been able to download the service packII. I dropped off the computer with my two children's sad little faces. My husband and I thought it was kind of funny and we were teasing them. The gentleman ran a scan on the computer, he found nothing. I was so relieved!! He told me I needed to upgrade the memory so I agreed, another hundred bucks. So he said they will have it for the most five days, when it is finished they would call me. Well after one and half weeks I called them, it seems my computer had this virus that has totally overtaken my computer. That my entire computer had to be wiped clean and the operating system reloaded. I will lose everything. UGHHHHHH I have 5 years of pictures saved on the computer. The guy said for 90 dollars they can make me a back up. Well my bill is rapidly growing and a simple process for 167 has not grown to 357. Well I am NOT happy at this point. I could have just bought the kids a new computer. So I told him to just forget it and I want a refund on the money I have already spent. Oh sorry Maam we do not do that. Then I said well I will pick up the computer and copy the pictures then bring it back. Oh sorry Maam you can not do that if you take the computer you will have to pay again when you bring it back. I have already paid 270 and the computer is in the exact same condition it was when I dropped it off. So now I feel as if I am in a hostage situation. So I agree to let them back up my computer. They said it would be another two days. Well last night I went to pick it up after they had it another entire week. By the way they did not call me either time I had to contact them. I have not hooked the computer up yet. It is like in the back of my mind I know it is not going to work. But as I downloaded my pictures from the CD I realized all of my son's football pictures are gone, my daughter's cheerleading pictures, 2004 Christmas, two vacations and I am sure there are others. I spent the entire night searching my brain trying to remember all the pictures I had. I am exhausted!! I did not sleep a wink.

Here is my public service announcement: DO NOT USE THE GEEK SQUAD!!

10 Comments:

At 2/03/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

Those people are people that have just enough knowledge of computers to be dangerous. There should have been no reason that they could not have saved all of your files. Of course, you need to call you local geek like me to fix your computer ;). I usually get a free meal over so often for cleaning up and fixing someone's comp haha!

 
At 2/03/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

*every so often

 
At 2/03/2006, Blogger Lori said...

OOOOOOOOOOOO you lost all of your photos ;(

 
At 2/03/2006, Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

LOL @ geek squad!! Nope will not call them if I need them.

 
At 2/03/2006, Blogger cherish said...

LoB: You are on!! I am going to bring my laptop to Florida with me in April, you can jazz it up and clean it up and I will take you out for an AWESOME dinner!!!!!!!!!

Lori: Thanks!!

Linda: Good pass the word!!

verification: saupy... laughs I think the word verification is getting funny.

 
At 2/03/2006, Blogger The Michael said...

I know you're gonna hate me for this, but here goes......eliminate your need altogether to rely on geeks to keep your computor running......

GET A MAC!

You may hate me now, but you will love me once you've given in and done it.

 
At 2/03/2006, Blogger xmichra said...

that's really too bad Cherish.. I know how that feels. i had a similar thing happen to me six years ago. My revenge? i found out how to uprade, clear out and back up my own things.. and I help others in Staples when I see them looking all doe eyed in the computer tech department. they can't argue with you If you are not charging money or soliciting your own buisness... so I like to call that a stick it to the man move. ;)

 
At 2/03/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Michael: Chuckles you sound like my brother, he swears by Macs!! You know I love you Baby!

XMichra: AWESOME idea you little devil!!! HEY where were you when I was looking all doeyed wandering around the Best Buy???

 
At 2/04/2006, Blogger Jim C said...

Should have asked first....Geek Squad is Latin for "Con Artist". They might have a cool name but these guys are the worst. They're like the bad mechanic who just happens to "find things wrong" with your car that aren't. Sorry you had the experience. I know many who've gone through the same thing. I took a computer that had a hijacker there once and the wanted 150 just to run a scan, never mind fix it, I said No and ended up spending about 75 on software and doing it myself. Geek Squad is the worst.

 
At 2/04/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Jim: Thanks for the comment! I think next time I am going to put the question out there to my wonderful blogging buddies before I do something with my computers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home