Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Innocence Lost

I was speaking to a friend on the phone this morning and we got on the subject of the miners. How we were glued to the television. Which brought us to the subject of the tragedy of 911 and how we were also glued to the television. Well at this point I did all the talking; I was telling her how horrible it was for the children when 911 happened. She suggested I blog the story so here I am.


I live in Maryland so as the world was watching what was happening in NY, we watched too but we also had much more information about the Pentagon. My husband works in Washington DC/MD/VA metro area, on that day I knew he was working near a security sensitive building, because I remember he had to have a security clearance but I could not remember which building. Well the first plane hit, my mom and I were heading over the bridge to go shopping. If you are new to my blog I live on an Island on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. When I picked my mom up (she lives on the same Island) the second plane had just hit and they were reporting it was a media/news plane that was reporting on the first plane crash. Honestly, I was very upset because I could not help but think of the people on the plane and in the building but at this point they were down playing anything significant. I was getting ready to go on vacation and I needed clothes so we headed over the bridge to go shopping as we entered the parking garage of the Annapolis Mall the radio announced "we are under attack". My heart sunk then they were saying a plane crashed into the Pentagon. I gasped because of my husband I knew he was in a high security building but for the life of me I could not remember which building, normally he does not tell me exactly where he is working. Then they started announcing the bridge would be closed because it was a security risk. I almost died; at this point all I could think about was getting back across that damn bridge to my children. My husband, my mother and I were all on the Western Shore and the kids were on the Eastern Shore. My mom and I arrived at the bridge and thank God it was open so we went across. They had the kids in lock down and would not allow us to pick them up. What a horrible feeling not being able to pick up my kids. The school said they were in lock down and would strongly suggest NOT picking the kids up because they were safer in the school. At this point we had no phones and no cell phones the phones kept saying all circuits busy. Well it came across the television to pick up your kids from school immediately. As I stood in the hall of the school waiting for my kids with other frantic mothers, fathers, neighborhoods, friends and siblings I watched the kids coming out from the rooms. Most of the children had a deer caught in the headlight look on their face. They knew something was up but were not told about the attacks. My daughter arrived first and she kept saying what is happening, she was in fifth grade. We waited and waited no son, waited some more everyone was leaving with their kids and my daughter was panicking (so was her mother) and finally I said to the principal I have been waiting and my boy has yet to arrive. She called again and here comes my third grader dancing down the hall very happy to get out of school early (he is unique, hehe actually he is just very happy go lucky and never thinks of anything bad, he always sees the glass as half full) Well… I get them in the car and had a total break down. I began to cry, I told them what was happening. With that they both said at the same time Daddy is near there and they start screaming. I get them home and settled and we begin to watch the footage. I could not turn it off, my thoughts drifting between where the heck is my husband and what a devastating absolutely unbelievable surreal thing that is unfolding before us. The kids were so worried about their dad. Finally my husband arrives home we run out and meet him at the car all three of us crying like fools. We spend the entire evening watching the news reports, we could not turn it off. Looking back I should have turned the television off for my children’s sake. The next day I had to bring my kids to school we arrive to find an armed police officer waiting at the front door of their school, they remained in lock down at school, and when the buses were getting ready to leave for home police officers were using dogs and mirrors checking under the buses for bombs, yep the buses they were getting ready to ride on. All field trips were cancelled that year. The school said they had to keep the children on the Island, I guess incase the bridge was bombed.
~Innocence lost~

We went on vacation the week of 911. Remember back to the week of 911 where would be the last place you want to go??? Vacation!! yup yup!!! I sat for two days sobbing saying I do not want to go to Disney world, I wanted to stay home. My husband said well then you let the terrorist win because that is exactly what they want us to do. We have spent over 6 grand on this vacation and we are going! We had booked a cabin on the auto train and was it ever crowded. When we left they still were not allowing air traffic so all the displaced air travelers were on the train. We arrived in Florida and planned on having a good time. yeah right!! Well the parks were not crowded at all because all the sane people stayed home. We were searched before entering all the parks, along with our bags. We went to NASA every major exhibit was closed because of the attacks, they did not want to chance anyone getting too close to the Space Shuttle. As we toured NASA there were guards patrolling with automatic weapons strapped to their chest. Can you imagine being on vacation in Florida at an exhibit and this is all you see walking around patrolling?
~Innocence lost~

(These two people (I use the term VERY loosely) shot 13 innocent people killing 10 of them)

Just as it seems like things are beginning to return to a normal pace, there is a sniper killing people in the MD/DC/VA area. Someone hunting human beings, picking them off at gas stations, schools, bus stops, parking garages, just about anywhere you can imagine. Fear is an understatement!! My children would beg their dad not to go to work, also beg him not to stop anywhere until he arrived on the Island. I would not take the kids to get gas or go to the store and they were not allowed to play outside. They spent their days in lock down at school with the all the blinds drawn shut. It was the most eerie feeling driving by the school because it was like a ghost town. The school children were not allowed to go on any field trips (another year no field trips, remember how great field trips were?) they were not allowed outside for recess and the buses would pull up to the door of the school and the kids had to run into school. How sick is that? Before this the buses all pulled up in front of the school, the kids would all get off together and go into school. Can imagine getting off your bus and having someone telling you to hurry and run into school? I can not imagine it and we lived it.
~Innocence lost~



My children have lived through this stupid war in Iraq. They can not understand it and I can not explain it to them because I do not understand it. I am so very proud of our troops and thankful to everyone who is serving in the military protecting us. But I can not explain to my children why the people of Iraq are killing their own people and why we are losing our young people at war.
~Innocence lost~


Then the reports hit the news. A Palestinian couple were arrested for taking video of the structural points of the bridge. Yup the same bridge we drive on all the time. The wife was filming when a police officer pulled up next to them and she suddenly put the camera in her lap which alerted the police officers. Everyone takes pictures going over the bridge it is a beautiful view, if she would not have jerked the camera down the police officers would have just kept going, they were off duty. Well not only did they have the video tape that was in the camera of the bridge, structural points, pylons (sp) but in the back of the car hours and hours of the same stuff on multiple video tapes, hmmmm nothing of the beautiful water or beach or boats or anything. They claimed they loved the bridge and were just filming it and the police officers were racial profiling because they were from the Middle East. Geeee isnt that great?? The police officers had the heads up to stop the car instead of just blowing it off like it was nothing because after all they were off duty. This absolutely petrified my children. They did not want to go over that bridge for anything.
~Innocence lost~



I want their innocence back!!!

Disclaimer 1: This entry is about me watching my children's lost of innocence. I realize that there were children lost and that children lost their parents. I realize my children are very lucky...
Disclaimer 2: I know this is a very long post, my apologies!

22 Comments:

At 1/04/2006, Blogger Ap said...

Thank you for sharing this with us Cherish! I can tell you and Lorin have a special bond! I'm hapy for you guys!!!

Don't know about the virtual smmooches and hugs though: I told you about my lively imagination din't I??

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger The Michael said...

This may go down as one of the best posts of 2006. You put alot of effort into this and it shows. I'm sorry that the world has made such an assault upon our children's innocence, but it's a cruel world and we can't isolate them from it anymore. Just make sure they know you love them and they will get thru, just like we did despite our teachers showing us how to get under our desks when the big bad commies dropped the bomb on us.

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

Right now words can't describe how I feel after reading your beauitful wrote post!! I have to go find some tissue and hug my babies!!

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger darlingina said...

Thank you for this touching post cherish. It brought back so many memories, so much saddness that i may have to blog and share. i for one, will never forget the tragedy and innocence lost not only for our children but for the future of our country.
Hugs,
~gina~

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

I remember when the planes hit the WTC and my son asked me why that happened. He say it all over the news and I personally would not have let him watch it. It is so sad that children lose their innocence so soon with how small the world is now with internet and TV. Thank you for the post - I think it is important that we do not forget things in life - no matter how insignificant they may seem.

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger xmichra said...

I first want to say what an amazing post this was. You have really written your soul into this and you can FEEL it when you read. Well done.

I am Canadain, so maybe this is not the same feeling you all had.. but I remember the fear I had when that happened. All jokes aside, Canada and the US are very much alike, and the US is a strong house when it comes to military. So when I heard that happened I was shaken.. and so were alot of others. That impacted the whole world, and I can speak that as a 100% truth.

I hadn't had my daughter yet, but I remember thinking of my family.. and calling them as soo n as I got off work. I talked to my youngest brother.. and he didnt' ge tit either. He didnt' understand why there were planes crashing and people dying. He didn't understand why the world was crumbling.. and he told me exactly that. It was a huge fear that this would happen again that day.. and a huge fear that you may never see your loved ones agian because of something you didnt know anything about.

Innocence is lost in the fear, and there is no shining unicorn to deflect. :(

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Ap brussel: Thank you for stopping by and commenting!! Oh yeah Lori and I are very close!!!

Michael: Thank you VERY much, I feel very honored by your kind words.

Linda: Thank you very much!!! I happy you liked it!

gina: You are welcome! I look forward to reading your future blog entries.


LoB: Agrees totally!! Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Xmich: Thank you so much!!! I absolutely understand about Canadian's being worried because we are so very close and honestly if it can happen to us it can happen to anyone. So much for a strong military. Fanatics and lunatics there is no rhyme or reason!!!

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger Top cat said...

you are wonderful!
thank you
tc

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger cherish said...

SMILES BRIGHTLY!

Thank you very much for the kind words TC!

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger Underachiever said...

Cherishy,

This is a great post.

hugs,

Undr

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Undr: Thank you so much smiles!! Hugss you tight! I appreciate you visiting and commenting.

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger Jim C said...

I turn my back to the wind
To catch my breath,
Before I start off again
Driven on,
Without a moment to spend
To pass an evening
With a drink and a friend

I let my skin get too thin
I’d like to pause,
No matter what I pretend
Like some pilgrim --
Who learns to transcend --
Learns to live
As if each step was the end

Time stand still --
I’m not looking back
But I want to look around me now
See more of the people
And the places that surround me now

Freeze this moment
A little bit longer
Make each sensation
A little bit stronger
Experience slips away...

I turn my face to the sun
Close my eyes,
Let my defences down --
All those wounds
That I can’t get unwound

I let my past go too fast
No time to pause --
If I could slow it all down
Like some captain,
Whose ship runs aground --
I can wait until the tide
Comes around

Make each impression
A little bit stronger
Freeze this motion
A little bit longer
The innocence slips away...

Summer’s going fast --
Nights growing colder
Children growing up --
Old friends growing older
Experience slips away...

The innocence slips away...

 
At 1/05/2006, Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

"Errrr... are you with us or against us???"

Osama is laughing his ass off in Afghanistan...

:(

All those political figures need to send their kids to Iraq... it's fair, right? Easy say than done.

 
At 1/06/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Jim: Breathtaking! Wow I mean WOW!!!!!!!! Thank you very much for sharing that with us!!! Hugs you tight!!!

 
At 1/06/2006, Blogger cherish said...

RHSP: I just wish we were out of there. We have no business over there and obviously they do not want us there.

 
At 1/06/2006, Blogger Still Searching... said...

I remember that 911 very well. My Mom called and woke me up to tell me to turn on the news, that they had flown a plane into the WTC. I turned on the news and watched as the second plane hit. It was completely inconceivable to me, I just kept thinking, this can't be real. My husband was out of town and I felt to terribly alone and small, vulnerable to the nth degree. I wanted to talk to him in the worst way...

 
At 1/07/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Thank you Still Searching it was such a sad time in our lives and I think we wanted to be with our loved ones. The weird thing is my mom did not want to be with us and years later she confessed that she felt if we were together something might happen because we would always say at least we will all go together so in her shock of 911 she felt if we were not together we would be safe.

 
At 1/07/2006, Blogger Tim ID said...

Very moving post. I had to go on a business trip to Philadelphia about three weeks after 911. I remember the fear on the faces of the passengers in the plane as they looked at each other wondering. And most of the historical places in Philadelphia were closed. It was a sad time.

 
At 1/07/2006, Blogger cherish said...

Tim: Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. It was a hard time for Americans. I can not imagine flying so soon after 911. We were very afraid on the train and in the parks as well, but flying gulps!

 
At 1/07/2006, Blogger :phil: said...

We were living about maybe 8 miles from ground zero at the time in NJ. I wasn't working at the time and had just taken our son to school. I came home and my wife was looking at the TV with her jaw open. Moments later, the second plane hit the towers. I had to go to the unemployment office that day and I could see the towers burning in the distance. We could smell the smoke from our house that night.
I'll never forget that day.

 
At 1/07/2006, Blogger cherish said...

I can not even imagine Phil!!! Thank you for sharing your experience!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home