Monday, November 07, 2005

Second ONLY to My Mother

My Grandmother
January 3, 1909 - November 6, 2005
May she rest in peace!!
God Speed Nana


My grandmother passed away yesterday after having hip surgery on Thursday. I have been in Pennsylvania with family at her bedside since early Friday morning. She did wonderful during the operation better than they imagined for a 96 year old. But unfortunately suffered a massive heart attack soon after she left recovery. Friday was a gift from God because she was talking to us, smiling and saying she was happy. She spoke of her mother, father, her siblings and also she saw my grandfather sitting in a rocking chair outside her door. (she had dementia and had not remembered my grandfather or even being married for about 5 years) She spoke of God a lot on Friday, everytime she spoke of God she had this heavenly smile on her face. Saturday was a very terrible and traumatic day as she was suffering beyond anyone's imagination. Her whimpers and moans were heartbreaking. She repeatedly told us she was not going, she did not want to go but she also spoke of the severe pain. It was this day that we decided it was time for her to go on to the next world. We asked them to stop the blood pressure medication that was bringing her blood pressure up. Our goal was to make her comfortable until God took her home. Sunday she rested quietly and peacefully, she slept so soundly it was wonderful. She just drifted into the next world with no pain. I thank God for that.

My grandmother was the most awesome person. As in the title of this blog entry; I said second only to my mother because I think there is no one like my mother. I aspire to be half the person my mom is and I truly do not believe I will ever reach that goal. My grandmother was a typical little Italian Grandmother; cooking, cleaning and baking. I have so many wonderful memories of my nana spoiling me. She was so tiny and so strong. I remember sitting in her little kitchen talking to her for hours as she baked and cooked. I remember her playing her organ in the front bedroom upstairs as she sang. I have so many wonderful memories that I will be holding so close to my heart right next to the place I keep the memories of my grandfather.

20 Comments:

At 11/07/2005, Blogger DietKing said...

Cherish,

I'm so sorry to hear about Nana. It sounds like she was a special sweet woman who not only touched your heart but those around her as well. I'm glad she saw Grandpa in the end and had a peaceful passing. And from what I see with the dates, she had a long, wonderful and fulfilled life--that's something we should all strive for, huh?
I'm here for you.
Take it slow--one day at a time, that's all.

Adam xoxo

 
At 11/07/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Adam,

Thank you very much. *smiles softly* You are very kind and I appreciate the offer, I may just take you up on it.

You are very special!!
cherish
hugss

 
At 11/07/2005, Blogger littleone said...

cherish:

i was touched by your writings about your grandmother.. your writings made me think of my grandmother.. she too has a very special place in my heart... and often times i will hear her whispering in my ear...

my wish for you (in this painful time) is that you too will often hear your grandmother whispering in your ear..... :)

hugs to you

morningstar (owned by Warren)
http://wtsubbie.blogspot.com/

 
At 11/07/2005, Blogger cherish said...

morningstar,

Thank you for the beautiful wish, I hope it comes true!!! I want to hear her whispering to me.

Hugs and thank you for the kind words, it means a lot to me.

huggss,
cherish

 
At 11/07/2005, Blogger Fred said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. May she rest in peace, and God Speed.

She sounds like a very special woman who led a wonderful life.

 
At 11/07/2005, Blogger Still Searching... said...

With Deep Sympathy. In this time of loss and sadness, may your heart be filled with wonderful memories of love. Take care.

 
At 11/07/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Fred and Still Searching:
Thank you so very much for your wonderful wishes. She was an awesome person smiles! I appreciate your time and kind words.

Smiles warmly,
Cherish

 
At 11/07/2005, Blogger Kid Ric said...

My condolences to you and your family. I remembered my Nan when I read your story. She passed 20 years ago. She still does and will always live on in my heart as I am sure your Nana will in yours. They will always be with us and forever by our side. We will be reunited with them, when it is our time to pass, I'm sure. It's God's way.

Peace, love and light to you and yours.

 
At 11/08/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Ric,
Thank you for visiting my blog, sorry it was on a down day. I do appreciate your kind words. I will miss her so much but she will live forever in my heart.

 
At 11/08/2005, Blogger Lori said...

I am sad to hear about you grandma I am sorry she sounded like a wonderful woman. MY prayers are with you. If you need anything let me know. My heart aches knowing that you are sad. Lots of hugs for you my soul sister.

 
At 11/08/2005, Blogger beadinggalinMS said...

Cherish, My condolences to you and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs, Linda

 
At 11/08/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Lori and Linda:

Thank you very much for the condolences, prayers, kind words and the hugs!!!

It is great to have such wonderful friends and soul sisters to lean on during tough times.

Much love,
cherish

 
At 11/08/2005, Blogger Underachiever said...

I'm sorry about Nana.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Undr(*hugs*)

 
At 11/08/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Undr,
Thank you so much! You are too sweet for words. I really appreciate your kindness at this tough time.

 
At 11/08/2005, Blogger anika said...

I'm really sorry about your Nana. It sounds like she was an amazing woman.

 
At 11/08/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Anika: Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Thank you for your kind words and she was really amazing. My brother use to call her 5 feet of concrete. She was actually less than 5 feet tall and tiny.
Thanks again!

 
At 11/09/2005, Blogger JPA in STL said...

I thought I saw her today
Laughing with all her happiness
I thought I heard her today
But it was only the wind
I asked God if I could have her back
I don’t think He heard me
I asked God to give her life back
He asked me why
Because I love her and she didn’t deserve to die
Because I need her for the rest of my life
God held my hand and wiped a tear from my eye
as one fell from His and He said
I Need Her Too

 
At 11/10/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Thank You James!!!!!!!

 
At 11/11/2005, Blogger Jim C said...

Cherish -

My prayers are with you and your family. Your grandmother is at peace and free from pain. Take comfort.

Jim C

 
At 11/12/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Thank you very much Jim. I am really trying. As I have said my mind knows that she is free and in a better place but my heart wants my grandmother her with me. Smiles Thank you for the well wishes!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home