Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I Love Where I Live

I look outside every morning around 4am. I love to see the stars and moon in the sky. I have been living here for almost thirteen years and still can not get over the awe of the sky here. There are no street lights where I live, the sky is so dark and you can see every single star. I do not think you realize how beautiful the sky is when you live in an area with street lights. I never knew what I was missing until I moved here. I love when visitors leave my house on a clear night, they get outside and gasp with awe. They are amazed at the sky. It is so dark at night and the early morning, you can not see your hand in front of your face. When I first moved here it scared me to death to be outside at night or early morning. But after the first year I grew to love the darkness so much. Well this morning the sky was as beautiful as ever a repeat of yesterday morning, not one cloud in the sky, the cresent moon sleeping on its back and the stars twinkling as bright as ever just for me. I love to go to the beach at night and watch the stars dancing on the water. The moon lighting a pathway to my soul. I sit in the darkness and just watch the water rippling, listening to the sound of the water and nature. It is wonderful and I appreciate those moments.

I also love the rain, the sound, the smell, the cleansing of the earth. I am not a big fan of storms because I do not like the loud thunder. We have rolling thunder, which I hate with a passion!!! I had never experienced rolling thunder until we moved here. As much as I hate thunder storms, is as much as I love to watch them from the beach. When the storm hits, I pack the kids up in the car and we drive down to our beach (about 2 blocks) The three of us just sit there in amazement as the water churns, the lightning strikes and thunder shakes our car. It is scary but exciting. Sometimes we will drive and park nearby the bridge and watch the storms from there.

There have been many changes to this area, the Island has grown in population unbelievably in the past few years and I long for the days when they rolled the sidewalks up at 8pm. But I still love where I live!

7 Comments:

At 9/28/2005, Blogger LocuTus of Borg said...

Sounds wonderful! I remember living back in Idaho and going camping out out into the woods almost every weekend. I would look up into the sky and could not believe the number of stars there were in the sky. It is terrible to live in an area where you can not see all those beautiful things because of stupid street lights. I used to like when the power would go out (well still do) because it is so quiet and dark. I love lightning/thunder storms =).

 
At 9/28/2005, Blogger DietKing said...

That post just made my day---how sweet it is to be blessed with living in a place you actually love--how wonderful.
Adam;-)

 
At 9/28/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Richard: I would love to see the stars from the west coast. I love power outages as well, it gives the kids a break from television, telephone and video games. It is the time we normally play games or just hang out.

Adam: I am happy I made your day!! This morning when I peeked out it reminded me how very lucky I am. Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of life we forget to slow down enough to count our blessings and be thankful... I am very guilty of this but today the stars twinkled just for me and made me remember to be thankful.

 
At 9/28/2005, Blogger :phil: said...

Where we live now (for 2 1/2 years) is in the country. There is so much less light polution. You can see satellites at night and everything. Your place sounds wonderful

 
At 9/28/2005, Blogger Lori said...

That rolling thunder scared me the first time I heard it, after living here in Fl for 12 yrs and 3 hurricanes last year Im used to it now.

 
At 9/28/2005, Blogger Lori said...

PS: I forgot to mention your new profile picture as my son would say Hubba Hubba!

 
At 9/28/2005, Blogger cherish said...

Phil: The country sounds so much better with less pollution. It sounds wonderful where you live! I hope you are feeling well.

Lori: I have been here for almost 13 years, two hurricanes (waves to Floyd and Isabel) and I still do not like the rolling thunder. hehe it gives me the heebee jeebees.... oooo hubba hubba on my profile pic, I have to email you the complete picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home